Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ogopogo search

A few months ago I was looking through Internet sites trying to find any information about the frog people of Jungle Forest. I came across an article that someone wrote about a lake monster called Ogopogo. The article stated that the monster had been sighted in a number of lakes. I pulled out my map of Kantasy (the state I live in) and began searching for any hidden lakes. I should have known. The map only showed lakes that had already been discovered. What help was that? I threw the map into my hiking backpack. I made myself something to eat and I grabbed a few water bottles. You never know how long you might be outside. I locked all the doors in my house and began hiking into the forest. After a while I pulled out the map to make sure I wasn’t heading for any known lakes. I was determined to find the Ogopogo. I noted from the suns position that I had hiked for about three hours and it was time for lunch. I pulled out a sandwich and began eating. After I finished up my meal I continued hiking. I watched the sun closely and calculated in my head that I had hiked for another five hours. My legs felt like led. I sat on a rock and rested for a while. My stomach began to rumble. I ignored it in order to save food that I might need for later. I got up and, from my amazing skills at reading the sun, found that I had hiked all together sixteen hours. I felt that this search was beginning to become hopeless. Soon all my water had run out and I needed a drink. I stepped over to the lake I had been circling the whole day in order to fill one of my water bottles back up. I pulled out the map. There wasn’t a lake near me for miles. What luck! I felt I was getting closer. As I began walking back into the brush I realized that the lake I was standing by had not been recorded on the map.
“Strange,” I said aloud.
Suddenly a light turned on in my head. I rushed back to the calm water scanned the lake for any sign of movement. I saw a ripple going across the lake. My heart started beating fast. I looked down to pull a paper pad out of my pocket and found that the ripple came from my now soaked shoe. I pulled my foot out of the water and looked up at the sun. Seventeen hours had passed since I left my house. This means that the sun should have set an hour ago. The Ogopogo’s presence was causing the sun to stand still. I ran along the edge of the lake trying to find any sign of the creature. Finally I decided to set up camp and wait for the monster to surface. It was then that I remembered that I forgot my camping gear at home. I looked at my watch and instantly began hiking home. By my watch it said that I had only been hiking for an hour. I was heading home to find the instruction manual in order to set the time correctly. It had to be wrong; I’m an expert at telling time by the sun’s position.

-Dr. VonGon

3 comments:

  1. Nice; "the map only had lakes that had been discovered." And; "the lake I was standing by had not been recorded on the map." Classic.
    Keep up the funny posts, man! These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My work is very serious, I would expect more from a person your age

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, your work is very serious, I'm surprised that you haven't been awarded a Nobel Prize yet. And you should get a refund for your watch. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete